Tuesday 7 February 2012

Guten Abend, gute Nacht...


After some blasé dabbling in the delights of Insomnia a while ago, I would like to say I’ve moved on to bigger and better things. Those of you (yes my dear sister I mean you!) who put your head on the pillow and fall asleep immediately, well that’s great for you, well done. Go and have a cookie. For the rest of you insomniacs I advise a mug of hot milk and honey; an old wives tale it may be, but boy does it work!

As a child I was ALWAYS the last one asleep at sleepovers and my parents stopped checking up on me before going to bed because I’d still be awake anyway. So it seems Insomnia and I were a match made in heaven…however I’d like to take this opportunity to publically announce our split. I haven’t looked back since. (touch bloody wood)


Before I continue basking in my stronger-than-ever-free-woman-glory, I’ll give all of you still suffering, some advice on how you too, can break free from this tiresome (sorry…) relationship.

 Exercise. Remember that sleeping is to recover, so if you’ve done absolutely nothing all day, what’s the point in recovering? Obviously you don’t HAVE to do this…a day of lectures/working etc is equally tiring!
No caffeine. NO caffeine. If you have an afternoon lull, a banana is cracking.
 An hour before bed, stop working and turn off the TV/laptop…read a magazine, have a hot bath, play some music…chiiiiiill…
Don't try and nap during the day
 Read a couple of pages in bed of something you enjoy.
      This one is the most important: if you can’t sleep, who cares?! Don’t stress about it. I know it’s easy to say, but if you don’t sleep tonight, tomorrow will still happen! Yes it probably won’t be as peachy as you’d hoped, but you’ll get through it and panicking will just make everything SO much worse. Put on an audiobook and just lie there and listen…the average Harry Potter is about 7 hours long and you can download it from iTunes whilst in bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment