Wednesday 15 May 2013

Over the hills & far away, Teletubbies come to play..


The Metro (London) on Tuesday May 14th: “Without a doubt, the UK is leading the world in pre-school programming with shows from Teletubbies to Peppa Pig.”


Pardon?

Now I have yet to experience the delights of Peppa Pig for myself, but I have indeed seen the Teletubbies. And world leading they are not… “eh-oh”

I think I was about 6 or 7 when they first appeared on the small screen and yes, I did have a brief but deep love for them. I even saved up my pocket money for a couple of weeks in order to be able to buy my very own version of Lala. Sadly my mama dear was not a big fan of the Teletubbies and was far from keen on my delight in their antics. She simply explained that such a program would lead to “verblödung” (like ‘schadenfreude’, this is one of those amazing words, which captures an entire English expression in one word. It simply means that ‘watching this program will make you dumb’)

So why is the Metro implying that programs like the Teletubbies are world leading? Perhaps because otherwise, we’d have to admit to ourselves that if our kiddiwinks weren’t watching the Teletubbies, then they would probably be playing on Dad’s/Mum’s/Granny’s/(god forbid) their own iPads.

Go and play in the dirt girls and boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment